Thursday 1 May 2014

"Where other men blindly follow the truth"

To make the pattern for my Assassin’s Creed II outfit I started with my body block. It took several iterations to get it to fit with all the seams in the right positions. I had planned to do the red lines as slashes, in order to be historical, but the more I looked at my reference images, the more I became convinced that the red lines on the outfits in the game just didn’t look like slashes. After searching through some online museum collections I found that putting braid on a doublet was also a technique used at the time. I couldn’t find a braid I liked so I have settled for a velvet ribbon. To get the effect of the white layer under the red stripe I have decided to sew the doublet with the seam allowances on the right side, allowing them to protrude from underneath the ribbon.
A doublet from the Met; art from Assassin's Creed II; my tests – I’m going with the technique in the bottom right.
It took several iterations to achieve the fitted look for the hood that the costumes in the game have while retaining the same construction pieces. I am happy with how my mock-up turned out; I just hope it translates to my actual fabric. Getting the sleeve caps to have the same shape as the original was the hardest part of this pattern. I ended up taking the slashes all the way up the sleeve and using the seams there to give the sleeves the proper shape.
My pattern – still at the 'I hope it works' stage.
I am making this costume out of the same fabric I am using for the Brotherhood outfit. This means my outfit will be white rather than the pale grey it appears to be in some reference pictures, but it allows me to economise on fabric. Between the two outfits I needed nearly 30 metres of fabric.
Both outfits laid out for cutting – a jigsaw puzzle of tiny pieces.

The only extra fabric I needed was brown poplin for the cape and pants. I haven’t worked out what lace I will use for this outfit yet, but I like the style of the one from my stash in the picture below (which probably guarantees that I won’t be able to find anything like it should I need a different width or greater length).


Assassin’s Creed belongs to Ubisoft.

No comments:

Post a Comment