Tuesday 20 May 2014

"We work in the dark to serve the light"


The Assassin’s Creed: Revelations outfit has a number of decorative designs on the fabric. In some images they look like embroidery and in others they don’t, so I have chosen to make the designs by bleaching the fabric.

To get the hood and skirt designs, I traced over reference pictures in GIMP with my drawing tablet. I then manipulated the picture to make the designs symmetrical and flat.

For the doublet I decided to use the assassin logo which is how it appears in game, although there is a different symbol on most of the promotional art. The design I used is readily available online, being printed on t-shirts and the like. (I would like to express my gratitude to Ubisoft for making costumers’ lives easier for once!)

My design patterns for bleaching – not to scale:
Hood Back
Hood Top
Hood Beak
Hood Side
Upper Skirt
Lower Skirt
Once I had my designs, I printed them on overhead transparencies which I then cut into stencils.  For the bleach, I used a Milton bleach tablet moistened in a small amount of water and applied it with a paint brush. I had to be careful with the consistency – I mostly had it at ‘almost a paste’. If the mixture was too liquid the bleach would run under the stencils.
Once I had finished the bleaching I let it sit for 8 or so hours, then rinsed out the fabric.
Out to dry – but not outside because by this time it was 9pm.
And here are the finished pieces:


Assassin’s Creed belongs to Ubisoft.

No comments:

Post a Comment