Sunday 31 December 2017

2017 Review

This year, it was like I decided to SEW ALL THE THINGS.

Costumes
In 2016 I did very little costuming but I got back to it in 2017. Firstly, I finished off Elizabeth from Bioshock Infinite. The skirt and shirt were mostly done last year but this year I finished them off and added the choker, scarf, chemise, hair bow and handbag-disguised-as-a-book.
I actually made 3 chemises this year, but only one that was worth photographing.
The eternal Assassin's Creed project continues. This year I made the belt for my costume and cast all the resin pieces for AC II and Brotherhood. This included a second version of my AC II buckle because I wasn't happy with the paint job on the first. I also took my Dad's doublet apart and remade it because it didn't fit properly and neither of us were happy with it.
I've got leatherworking classes booked for early next year and I bought a Dremel last week to encourage me to stop putting off sanding the resin. I'm partly excited and partly ready for it to be over.

I made an 1830s dress, that I adore, for the Jane Austen festival. To go with it I made a corded petticoat and a bonnet. It was very nice to get back to some historical sewing after having spent 18 months or so focusing on videogame outfits and everyday wear.
In the week before Jafa I made a regency ballgown and evening spencer for a friend.
First photo by Steven Shaw
I also made a couple of regency petticoats and new staysI will get the regency silhouette right eventually. (I mean, I won't; I'm not built that way, but I will get it as right as I can.)

I made a new Victorian corset as part of a workshop. I was very happy to finally get a corset that fits properly and I very much liked sewing with silk and hope to use it more (the muffled whimpering you can hear is my bank account).

Real Clothes
My Bioshock-induced 1940s habit is still going strong. I bought a couple of antique 1940s patterns not long ago; I haven't made them up yet, but I did use the collar and sleeve of one for the light purple dress. The write-up for the dark dress is here.
I had a foray into the fifties with the lovely Butterick 6018. I also made a slip, based on an original I own.
The slip turned out so well I made a summer dress from the same pattern. Also in summer wear, I made a dress and swimming togs with the au courant halter neckline.
I've worn this black knit skirt, McCalls 6608, so much it feels like I've had it forever, not just a year. I also made another maxi-dress. The fabric was beautiful but a bit cheap and nasty; I'm almost surprised it's survived being worn nearly every week since I made it.

Learning
I made a shirt and pants as part of some sewing classes I took this year. Learning how to adjust patterns properly has made a huge difference to how comfortable my clothes can be. With the 1830s dress and the 1950s dresses particularly, I noticed that I was able to fix fitting issues I would normally have just put up with.
This year I've started to focus more on my sewing-adjacent skills, like make-up and photography. I had my first studio photoshoot (not counting the family portrait when I was 3). Since attending a photography workshop at Gamma.Con, Mum and I are putting a bit more thought into the photos we take for the blog and are leaving the house to find different settings – you can expect a vicarious tour through Canberra over the next year.

Events
I had an excellent year of going to costuming events. Having friends to go with makes them so much better. First was the Jane Austen Festival, then Gamma.Con. We've got plans for more outings next year, and the preparatory sewing bees are already underway.
At Jafa: I made all the dresses and hats in this picture.
At Gamma.Con I won the sewing section of the Cosplay competition with my Elizabeth outfit. Elizabeth also got a first place in the Canberra Show and my Assassin won non-professional champion. My 2018 entry form is already on its way but I was saddened to see that there were no historical or costume categories. I had to enter in 'Other'.

Last year I thought I would aim to do a bit more sewing in 2017. I definitely managed it! In 2018 I might do a bit less. Although I've been enjoying it so much I don't want to stop.



No comments:

Post a Comment