Monday 30 November 2015

In Raptures over vintage clothes

The fabric I used for my first 40s dress was really lovely so when I found it in a different colour and print I bought enough to make another dress. This time I decided to complement the patterned fabric with a plain fabric for the waistband and cuffs and a contrast piping. I also adapted the dress design to have a peaked waistband and the bodice gathered into a yoke, rather than the shoulder seam.
The too-short zip problem is solved by having a V-shaped back neckline.
Since the waistband on this dress was clearly visible, I had to make sure both sides matched up at the zip.
The waistband peak is topstitched by hand. I was trying to use backstitch, but I think it came out as some kind of elongated stem stitch. The hand stitching adds a nice texture, I think.
This pattern is proving dependable and adaptable. I have one more version currently half made but no more planned. These dresses go together very quickly which is gratifying but I’ve finished uni now so it’s time to tackle more complex projects. I am very glad to be going into summer with a wardrobe that, when I wake up thinking ‘I want to look like Bioshock today’, can now supply me with something appropriate.

No comments:

Post a Comment