Sunday 19 April 2015

We share the glory of our victories

And here’s the last Assassin’s Creed costume: a Brotherhood outfit for my dad.
Last time I posted about this outfit I had finished the jerkin and hood. The doublet took longer because it is made of 64 pieces. For instance, there are 6 tiny pieces in each lower sleeve cap.
I used several different techniques to join the pieces in order to look as close as possible to the references. (Topstitching with zig-zag turned up a lot.)
 Shown here: bound and topstitched, straight-stitch topstitching, and zig-zag topstitching.
I had been planning to line the doublet, but in the end I decided to have a red facing only on the collar. Any more would have been unnecessary bulk.

The fit of the doublet was disappointing. The muslin I made fit properly but the real thing ended up being too big, and I’m not sure why. And fixing it would be very complicated. Thankfully, the original is not a closely fitted garment and the sash holds it together. (Actually, I haven’t made the sash yet – how I make it will depend on how I decide to make the insignia for the belt. The sash in these photos is just leftover fabric)
To get the decorative design down the side of the cape I didn’t even consider hand embroidery! I found a trim at Lincraft that worked perfectly.
I haven't made the leather attachments for the capes yet, but I plan to work on that later in the year.
I made both our undershirts at once, assembly line style.
Mass producing cuffs.
All the cuffs do up with small Dorset buttons left over from the Lucy costume I made earlier in the year.
Dad’s shirt has a ruffled collar which I made with cartridge pleating. My test run worked, but wasn’t quite right so I opted to be lazy and sew it down by machine. If I figure out a better way of constructing it I might redo it more carefully.
Overall, I was very happy I got to make this. Working out how to put it all together was a great challenge which I enjoyed. However, in this, and several other outfits I’ve made recently, I have not been as successful at achieving the desired fitting as I would like to be, especially when working from measurements. Even though I would like it to be a bit better, it has turned out fine and I’m happy with it and Dad is very pleased with it.





Assassin’s Creed belongs to Ubisoft.

No comments:

Post a Comment