Saturday 7 December 2013

A quick project

Tunics form a staple part of my wardrobe. I’ve made several, all slightly different styles from A-line to fitted crossover.

While working on an outfit that required careful planning, patterning and execution (as-yet-unblogged) I decided I wanted to make something that would be finished quickly.

I had been brainstorming tunic designs, so I picked one and made up a pattern.
The one on the right.
The pattern was based on a pattern based on a pattern. (It started out as – but no longer resembles – McCall’s 3129.)  One of the changes was to make the side front and side back go up to the shoulder seam, rather than into the armhole.
Because this was to be a ‘quick project’ I didn’t make a muslin. I knew the top pattern fitted me so I figured it would be okay. It did fit, but was much less fitted than I wanted, so I had to take in all the seams to reduce it down to the fit I wanted.

I cut each front piece wide and fitted the angles of the crossover by hand. As this required very precise placing I basted the edges very close to the fold before cutting, neatening and hemming. I liked the look of the basting so much I kept it in.
The fabric is a curtain offcut that was in my stash. It has a lovely woven texture. The ribbons are also from the stash, which is why the ones on the inside don’t match and are odd lengths. I am considering buying some more of the purple ribbon and having another tie halfway up the front as it can gape a little.
The tunic closes with ribbon ties (because zips haven’t been invented yet).

This tunic was made to be a practical and versatile piece in my wardrobe so it can be worn with many things: pants, skirt, corset, short sleeves, long sleeves.

No comments:

Post a Comment