The base dress is made from McCall’s 3129, which is quickly become my standard base pattern. It closes with the best invisible zip I’ve done yet – I didn’t need to redo any of it. The easy-to-embroider fabric was another great find at Patchwork on Parker in Cootamundra. I didn’t try to match the embroidery floss colour perfectly to the actual tapestry (and frankly, when you’re working with photos and photos of photos – colour accuracy pretty much goes out the window anyway). Instead I found out what the colours were by name, and then found a collection that looked good together.
|The pale yellow is perhaps a bit too close to the fabric colour|
The figures are outlined in stem stitch (which I no longer forget how to do in the middle of a row) and filled in with Bayeux stitch. Bayeux stitch is the stitch that was used on the original tapestry. It conserves thread as much as possible and fills in spaces very quickly.
I expect that this project will take a while (read: years). I am not constantly embroidering but I am happy with my progress after a month.
May I present the first figure, finished:
There is a painfully detailed set of progress photos under the cut, that I expect I am the only person who will care about.