Thursday 24 January 2013

2012 review

2012 was a very productive year for me sewing-wise.

I made these costumes:
1950s evening ensemble for a friend's ‘Hollywood Glamour’ party, inspired by an extant outfit worn by Ava Gardner.

Misery, from the TV show Ruby Gloom.
This was a long project as I had nowhere in particular to wear it, so I wanted to take the time to make it just right.


Underpinnings for a 1913 dress which is currently in the progress. 


This hoop skirt and petticoat were meant to have an outfit to go with them but it has not eventuated.
A reticule based on a fashion plate as a gift for a friend. The fashion plate came from here.


A couple of tunics and a coat for a friend’s film.
A green regency waistcoat (but not the rest of the outfit) for my dad.
An ‘Ice Goth’ outfit, which isn’t really a costume, but is a bit too impractical to be ‘real clothes’.



I also made some ‘real clothes’:
An asymmetrical appliquéd top of my own design.

Spotlight had a lovely brocade on sale, so I bought 17 metres in three colours and have so far made a skirt and a dress.

Cuffs! A pair for the Ice Goth outfit, the brocade dress and a tunic I made last year. They range from completely machine sewn to completely hand-sewn. I love them and suspect there will be more in my future.

A summer dress with an uneven hem and lapels at the back. Made from my mother's stash fabric which I've been admiring for most of my life.

My version of the ubiquitous Simplicity 2172 coat, and a corset from the same pattern.




I plan to do a profile post on most of these garments, so there should be more details later. If you have a particular question, feel free to comment.

My major technical achievements for last year were invisible zips and lace insertion. I don’t use zips in my historical costumes but they come in handy for modern clothes. I never liked the look of covered zips but my discovering of invisible zips has made me happy to use them. I tried lace insertion on my 1913 petticoat and it was easier than I was expecting and looks really nice – I want to use it again.




No comments:

Post a Comment